And where are you going?
We see where we’ve been… what we’ve done.
We see the good times… and the not-so-good.
We are proud of the good choices we made… and would like to forget some of the poor ones.
We see where others we met and interacted with along the way have given us much joy… or brought us much grief.
Many times we would like to go back and change where our path took us
To avoid some of the negatives and the pain.
To end up in a different place than where we are.
These things are not possible.
All we can do with the past, positive or negative, is to embrace it, learn from it, and (this part many people don’t realize!)…
decide which way we want to go from here
Are we content with where our current path is leading? Or do we want to end up somewhere totally different?
The choice is yours. You get to decide what direction your life takes. You can make course adjustments. Did you know that pilots (and the autopilot) are constantly having to make minor course corrections? Being off by 1 degree can make a huge difference in where you end up. By the same token, making adjustments of 1 degree can totally alter your journey.
It doesn’t necessarily take a MAJOR life decision or change to get different results!
“We are creating our future by deciding where to step.”
Awesome! You get to decide which direction you take your next step. A little to the right? A little to the left?
But, what about…
I know that we all have been dealt some tough stuff. There are some things out of your control. However, there are a lot of things YOU do have the ability to control, and you need to learn what those things are.
- Your thoughts
- Your Attitude
- How you take care of yourself (eat right, drink water, exercise)
- How you manage your time (saying No, turning off TV or PC, choosing family time over outside obligations)
- Learn to live in the moment
Even if you are at a place in your life where a lot of your time is committed to things that ARE important to you (children, family, career) determine even those small things that can make a shift toward the direction you want to head.
- Drink water instead of soda
- Go to bed instead of watching ‘just one more show’
- Take a 10 minute walk rather than vegging out. If you still want to veg when you return, go for it!
- Read a book on a subject you want to know more about, even if it is just 15 minutes on your lunch break
- Research that business idea floating in your head and start creating a plan, even if it is a 5 or 10 year plan
- Get a new haircut/style that better reflects you
- Go through your wardrobe and do your best to wear only the clothes that you feel good in, that make you feel confident
- Spend some time in reflection determining who “you” really are, and where you want your path to eventually lead.
What are some of the little (or BIG) changes you have made to point yourself in the direction you want to be going?
I will be expanding on some of these ideas over the next couple of weeks. Be sure to subscribe HERE so you don’t miss out on any of my posts!