Just as I wrote about in this post, we as women are ‘expected’ to do so much. I think it is time that YOU examine your life and see what things you ought to cut out because they are not adding value to your life and they may, in fact, be increasing your stress level.
Here are a few things I have chosen not to do-
- I don’t keep my phone on me 24-7. I am learning to leave it in the car when I go certain places or at least silence it. Hubby always has his (not a stress factor for him) so I know if there is a TRUE emergency they can call him! I also turn my ringer to silent at night, again, true emergency will call hubby’s phone. And even if I have it, I don’t feel compelled to answer every call.
- I don’t check my email or blog stats until I have done certain things in the morning that I have set to do, such as take the dog out, unload the dishwasher, have my quiet time, etc. I am choosing to not let my computer run my life.
- I have decided for now, to not go to the Y for a yoga class, but instead I downloaded a yoga stress relief program I can do at home everyday at the time that is best for me (yoga at the Y was only twice a week on THEIR schedule, not mine)
- I don’t watch the news, not even online, unless there is a MAJOR happening. I don’t need the negativity right now, and if the world is coming to an end, I am sure SOMEBODY will tell me!
- Don’t do something you hate just because of the pressure of someone else. You have to choose what is best for you.
- I instituted this saying at my home when my kids were young teens: “Lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.” If they forget they needed something, I did not drop everything to save them, they had to learn from their natural consequences.
- I have pared down my grooming process, easier hair style, lighter makeup, basic jewelry, simpler clothing choices. It shouldn’t be so difficult to get ready to go anywhere!
What about you? As you try to achieve some balance and sanity in your life, what are some things you have already put on a Not-to-do list, or that you need to add right away?
My goal is to help as many women as possible with these issues we all deal with! Be sure to subscribe via email or RSS so you don’t miss any posts! If you know of someone who would benefit from the info in this post and in my blog, please click here to share!